• NAMI Jacksonville will hold its monthly educational meeting at 6 p.m., Tuesday night, March 12th, in the community room behind K.L. Brown Funeral home and Crematory on Highway 204 in Jacksonville. Meetings are free and open to the public. Our educational program will be provided by Andrea Mixson, an ADAP staff attorney. Her topic will cover general services, available .
• Calhoun County Birders will meet at the Jacksonville Community Center at 9:00a.m., Friday, March 22nd, to hear Dr. Carter speak on Breeding Assemblages at Coleman Lake. The program is open to the public. For information, contact Jim Wakefield at 256-770-1434.
• YOU’RE INVITED TO LUNCH & LEARN….A series of free gardening programs sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners & Calhoun County Commission held the 4th Wednesday of each month at the Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan from noon-1pm ; bring your own lunch!
April 24: “Batty for Bats”: Vicky Beckham Smith, A-Z Animals
May 22 “Alabama the Beautiful”: Lisa Harris, Scenic Alabama
June 26 “A Simple Water Feature for the Garden”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
July 24 “Herb Gardening”: Dani Carroll, ACES
August 28 “Getting to Know the Talladega National Forest: Part 2”: Jonathan Stober, District Biologist
September 25 “Gardening for Dry Places”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
Speakers & topics subject to change. Contact the Extension Office to confirm. 256-237-1621.
• The Joy Quilt Guild will meet at 9:30 on Thursday, March 7, in the Sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church in Jacksonville. Muriel Phaff, from Atlanta will present a program on Lucille Ball. Muriel will be dressed in costume and discuss Lucille Ball’s life and quilts of that period of history. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Join us for Knit “and Crochet” Night at Yarns by HPF every first and third Thursday, from 5-7 p.m. at the shop. We are at 402 Pelham Rd. North by Subway.
• New classes for the Jacksonville State University Adult Wellness classes are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Senior water aerobics and senior floor aerobic classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or email@example.com for more information and: Tuesday and Thursday: Senior water aerobics and senior therapeutic yoga classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
.• Doris Haan has several trips planned for 2013. The first will be to Washington, D. C., March 21-26 to see the Cherry Blossom Festival and take several tours. The tour will depart from Gadsden. A trip to Savannah, Ga., and surrounding areas is set for May 6-10. Call Haan at 492-3465 to make reservations or for more information.
• Yarns by HPF invites you to join us at the shop for Knit (Crochet Too) Night every 1st and 3rd Thursday, from 5-7 at 402 Pelham Rd. N., in the Subway Shopping Center. Call 256-452-5206 if you have any questions.
• The Alabama Shutterbugs, a new club for all skill level of photographers, meets the second Tuesday of each month, 5:30 PM, at the Peerless Grill, 13 W 10th St. Anyone interested in photography is welcome to join us. For more information call 256-236-8488.