• Join the Calhoun County Tree Amigos Master Gardeners for the first plant sale of the season. Unusual perennials, trees, and shrubs will be featured at the sale, Saturday, April 20th, 8a.m. - noon, Cane Creek Community Gardens at McClellan. Sale proceeds benefit the Tree Amigos program. For information please call 256-237-1621.
• NAMI Jacksonville will hold its monthly educational meeting at 6 p.m., Tuesday night, March 12th, in the community room behind K.L. Brown Funeral home and Crematory on Highway 204 in Jacksonville. Meetings are free and open to the public. Our educational program will be provided by Andrea Mixson, an ADAP staff attorney. Her topic will cover general services, available .
• Calhoun County Birders will meet at the Jacksonville Community Center at 9:00a.m., Friday, March 22nd, to hear Dr. Carter speak on Breeding Assemblages at Coleman Lake. The program is open to the public. For information, contact Jim Wakefield at 256-770-1434.
• YOU’RE INVITED TO LUNCH & LEARN….A series of free gardening programs sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners & Calhoun County Commission held the 4th Wednesday of each month at the Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan from noon-1pm ; bring your own lunch!
April 24: “Batty for Bats”: Vicky Beckham Smith, A-Z Animals
May 22 “Alabama the Beautiful”: Lisa Harris, Scenic Alabama
June 26 “A Simple Water Feature for the Garden”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
July 24 “Herb Gardening”: Dani Carroll, ACES
August 28 “Getting to Know the Talladega National Forest: Part 2”: Jonathan Stober, District Biologist
September 25 “Gardening for Dry Places”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
Speakers & topics subject to change. Contact the Extension Office to confirm. 256 237 1621
• Join us for Knit “and Crochet” Night at Yarns by HPF every first and third Thursday, from 5-7 p.m. at the shop. We are at 402 Pelham Road North by Subway.
• New classes for the Jacksonville State University Adult Wellness classes are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Senior water aerobics and senior floor aerobic classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or email@example.com for more information and: Tuesday and Thursday: Senior water aerobics and senior therapeutic yoga classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Jacksonville Parks and Recreation Baseball/Softball/Tee Ball Registration For: Boys and Girls ages 3-14 years old. Baseball Age Groups: 3-4 yr old Wee-Ball, 5-6 yr old T-ball, AA 7-8yr old, AAA 9-10 yr old, Ozone 11-12 yr old, Dixie Boys 13-14 yr old. Softball Age Groups: 8 under (7-8 yr olds), 10 under (9-10 yr olds), 12 under (11-12 yr olds) Age Control Dates: Baseball May 1 and Softball January 1. Registration Fee: Baseball/Softball $60.00 per child Tee ball/Wee ball $50.00 per child ($5 off each additional sibling in the same household). Dates: February 1st through February 21st. Times: Monday through Friday 8am-6pm, Saturdays 9:00-1:00. Location: Jacksonville Community Center, 501A Alexandria Rd. S.W. For further information check our website: www.jacksonvillerecreation.com or contact Ed Canady or Amber Russell @ 435-8115.
• Volunteers from the Calhoun County Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) will prepare and electronically file FREE Federal and State Individual Income Tax Returns at the Jacksonville Train Deport, 650 Mountain Street NW, during the hours of 9 AM to 3 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays, January 29 thru April 11. These Volunteers are part of the IRS Volunteer Return Preparation Program (VRPP) and have all been trained, tested, and certified to prepare electronic returns by the IRS. Please bring all pertinent tax information (including last year’s tax returns), Social Security cards and one photo identification of some sort.
• Doris Haan has several trips planned for 2013. The first will be to Washington, D. C., March 21-26 to see the Cherry Blossom Festival and take several tours. The tour will depart from Gadsden. A trip to Savannah, Ga., and surrounding areas is set for May 6-10. Call Haan at 492-3465 to make reservations or for more information.
• The Alabama Shutterbugs, a new club for all skill level of photographers, meets the second Tuesday of each month, 5:30 PM, at the Peerless Grill, 13 W 10th St. Anyone interested in photography is welcome to join us. For more information call 256.236.8488.
• Yoshukai Karate of Jacksonville offers classes at the Jacksonville Community Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8 p.m. For more information call 256-282-5425.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets at noon each Thursday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 400 Chinabee Ave., just off the Square. Call 256-847-0909.
• A Narcotics Anonymous group meets from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at First United Methodist Church behind McDonald’s. For more information, call Pearl Williams at 256-435-4881.
• A senior dance for those 55 years and older will be at the Senior Center from 6:30-9:30 p.m. the second Friday night of each month, featuring music, fun, friends and food. The Fun Tyme Band will be there to provide the music. $5 per couple, $3 for single.
• The Friday Night Opry Show is presented from 6:30-9:30 Friday nights at the Golden Saw Music Hall in the Williams community. Call 256-435-4696.
• Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered 12-step program, meets every Friday night at First Baptist Church in Jacksonville. Dinner is served at 5:30. Large group meetings with worship and praise bands and guest speakers begin at 6:30. Small share/support groups meet after that at 7:30 p.m., followed with cake and fellowship. Call 256-435-7263 or 256-225-2492.
• Ladies, come pray with us on the square in Jacksonville at 10 a.m. the first Thursday of each month. We will be praying for our city, our churches and pastors, our schools and children, our officials and businesses. If you have questions, call Polly Angelette at 256-435-7016.
• Jacksonville Fire Department is looking for information and items relating to the history of the department. If you have anything to share, call David Bell at 256- 310-8961.
• The Public Library Board of Trustees meets at 3:30 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month at the library annex. Anyone needing accommodations is asked to contact librarian Barbara Rowell at 256-435-6332.