• The Choccolocco Heritage Society will meet at the Choccolocco Community Center, 220 Iron City Cut-off Road on Tuesday, March 19 at 6:30 p.m. All members are urged to be in attendance and bring an interested friend. Refreshments will be provided. Call 256-236-2497 or 256-237-2136 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Quality of Life committee will begin its 2013 update of goals and accomplishments with a brown bag lunch on Thursday, March 21st. The meeting will be held in the Fireside Room of the Jacksonville Community Center. The mission of the Quality of Life committee is “To provide and promote opportunities for continued health, wellness, and leisure while preserving our cultural, historical, and natural resources.” Our committee is part of the Alabama Communities of Excellence program. We welcome anyone who is interested in making Jacksonville an even better place to live. For more information call Susan at 256-435-7136.
• Join the Calhoun County Tree Amigos Master Gardeners for the first plant sale of the season. Unusual perennials, trees, and shrubs will be featured at the sale, Saturday, April 20th, 8a.m. - noon, Cane Creek Community Gardens at McClellan. Sale proceeds benefit the Tree Amigos program. For information please call 256-237-1621.
• Calhoun County Birders will meet at the Jacksonville Community Center at 9:00a.m., Friday, March 22nd, to hear Dr. Carter speak on Breeding Assemblages at Coleman Lake. The program is open to the public. For information, contact Jim Wakefield at 256-770-1434.
• YOU’RE INVITED TO LUNCH & LEARN….A series of free gardening programs sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners & Calhoun County Commission held the 4th Wednesday of each month at the Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan from noon-1pm ; bring your own lunch!
April 24: “Batty for Bats”: Vicky Beckham Smith, A-Z Animals
May 22 “Alabama the Beautiful”: Lisa Harris, Scenic Alabama
June 26 “A Simple Water Feature for the Garden”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
July 24 “Herb Gardening”: Dani Carroll, ACES
August 28 “Getting to Know the Talladega National Forest: Part 2”: Jonathan Stober, District Biologist
September 25 “Gardening for Dry Places”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
Speakers & topics subject to change. Contact the Extension Office to confirm. 256.237.1621.
• Volunteers from the Calhoun County Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) will prepare and electronically file FREE Federal and State Individual Income Tax Returns at the Jacksonville Train Deport, 650 Mountain Street NW, during the hours of 9 AM to 3 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays, January 29 thru April 11. These Volunteers are part of the IRS Volunteer Return Preparation Program (VRPP) and have all been trained, tested, and certified to prepare electronic returns by the IRS. Please bring all pertinent tax information (including last year’s tax returns), Social Security cards and one photo identification of some sort.
• Doris Haan has several trips planned for 2013. The first will be to Washington, D. C., March 21-26 to see the Cherry Blossom Festival and take several tours. The tour will depart from Gadsden. A trip to Savannah, Ga., and surrounding areas is set for May 6-10. Call Haan at 492-3465 to make reservations or for more information.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets at noon each Thursday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 400 Chinabee Ave., just off the Square. Call 256-847-0909.
• A Narcotics Anonymous group meets from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at First United Methodist Church behind McDonald’s. For more information, call Pearl Williams at 256-435-4881.
• Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered 12-step program, meets every Friday night at First Baptist Church in Jacksonville. Dinner is served at 5:30. Large group meetings with worship and praise bands and guest speakers begin at 6:30. Small share/support groups meet after that at 7:30 p.m., followed with cake and fellowship.