• Hatcher Avenue Baptist Church will be having an Easter drama play Sunday, March 31 at 10:30 a.m. There will be no Su8nday school or evening service. Everyone is invited. For info call Brenda at 256-310-2651.
• Miss and Mr. Relay for Life Beauty and Talent Pageant will be Saturday, April 13 at the Heflin Civic Center (armory) in Heflin. All proceeds go to the American Cancer Society. The event is sponsored by East Heflin Relay for Life Team. Trophies, Rhinestone Logo Crowns, Banners, and Savings Bonds. There is a $50 entry fee - ask how to enter FREE. For entry forms Call: 256-463-2532 or 256-236-3548 or e-mail: mailto:email@example.com
• Join the Calhoun County Tree Amigos Master Gardeners for the first plant sale of the season. Unusual perennials, trees, and shrubs will be featured at the sale, Saturday, April 20th, 8a.m. - noon, Cane Creek Community Gardens at McClellan. Sale proceeds benefit the Tree Amigos program. For information please call 256-237-1621.
• YOU’RE INVITED TO LUNCH & LEARN….A series of free gardening programs sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners & Calhoun County Commission held the 4th Wednesday of each month at the Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan from noon-1pm ; bring your own lunch!
April 24: “Batty for Bats”: Vicky Beckham Smith, A-Z Animals
May 22 “Alabama the Beautiful”: Lisa Harris, Scenic Alabama
June 26 “A Simple Water Feature for the Garden”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
July 24 “Herb Gardening”: Dani Carroll, ACES
August 28 “Getting to Know the Talladega National Forest: Part 2”: Jonathan Stober, District Biologist
September 25 “Gardening for Dry Places”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
Speakers & topics subject to change. Contact the Extension Office to confirm. 256 237 1621
• Join us for Knit “and Crochet” Night at Yarns by HPF every first and third Thursday, from 5-7 p.m. at the shop. We are at 402 Pelham Rd. North by Subway.
• New classes for the Jacksonville State University Adult Wellness classes are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Senior water aerobics and senior floor aerobic classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and: Tuesday and Thursday: Senior water aerobics and senior therapeutic yoga classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or email@example.com for more information.
• Volunteers from the Calhoun County Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) will prepare and electronically file FREE Federal and State Individual Income Tax Returns at the Jacksonville Train Deport, 650 Mountain Street NW, during the hours of 9 AM to 3 PM, Tuesdays and Thursdays, January 29 thru April 11. These Volunteers are part of the IRS Volunteer Return Preparation Program (VRPP) and have all been trained, tested, and certified to prepare electronic returns by the IRS. Please bring all pertinent tax information (including last year’s tax returns), Social Security cards and one photo identification of some sort.
• Doris Haan has several trips planned for 2013. A trip to Savannah, Ga., and surrounding areas is set for May 6-10. Call Haan at 492-3465 to make reservations or for more information.
• Yarns by HPF invites you to join us at the shop for Knit (Crochet Too) Night every 1st and 3rd Thursday, from 5-7 at 402 Pelham Rd. N., in the Subway Shopping Center. Call 256-452-5206 if you have any questions.
• The Alabama Shutterbugs, a new club for all skill level of photographers, meets the second Tuesday of each month, 5:30 PM, at the Peerless Grill, 13 W 10th St. Anyone interested in photography is welcome to join us. For more information call 256.236.8488.
• Applications for Head Start are now being taken. Come visit a Head Start/Early Head Start Center in your community and talk with center coordinators or family advocates. For additional information in Calhoun and Cleburne counties call Gayle McClellan at 256-237-8628. Head Start Centers located in Calhoun County are Norwood, Piedmont, Ayers, Constantine and Hobson City. Children must be three years old by Sept. 1.
• Yoshukai Karate of Jacksonville offers classes at the Jacksonville Community Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8 p.m. For more information call 256-282-5425.
• The Jacksonville Aspiring Writers Group meets from 4:30 to 6 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of every month at the Jacksonville Public Library. Anyone interested in the creative writing process is welcome. Please bring samples of your original writing to share. The group offers support, critique and information about writing and possible publishing venues. Call 256-782-2881 for more information.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets at noon each Thursday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 400 Chinabee Ave., just off the Square. Call 256-847-0909.
• A Narcotics Anonymous group meets from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at First United Methodist Church behind McDonald’s. For more information, call Pearl Williams at 256-435-4881.
• The Friday Night Opry Show is presented from 6:30-9:30 Friday nights at the Golden Saw Music Hall in the Williams community. Call 256-435-4696.
• Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered 12-step program, meets every Friday night at First Baptist Church in Jacksonville. Dinner is served at 5:30. Large group meetings with worship and praise bands and guest speakers begin at 6:30. Small share/support groups meet after that at 7:30 p.m., followed with cake and fellowship. Call 256-435-7263 or 256-225-2492.
• The Calhoun County Stamp Club meets at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays in Room 327 Stone Center, Jacksonville State University, corner of Church Avenue and Eleventh Street. Visitors and new members are welcome. Call 256-782-8044, 256- 782-5604 or 256- 435-7491.
• Jacksonville Fire Department is looking for information and items relating to the history of the department. If you have anything to share, call David Bell at 256- 310-8961.