No one injured in fire at Calhoun County Jail
by Madasyn Czebiniak
mczebiniak@annistonstar.com
Nov 13, 2013 | 3070 views |  0 comments | 47 47 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A fire that started accidentally in the Calhoun County Jail this morning damaged two clothes dryers but did not injure anyone, according to a press release issued today by the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office.

The fire started around 7 a.m. in a dryer in the laundry room at the jail, but it was contained in the dryer, Sheriff Larry Amerson said. The hallway and laundry room only suffered from smoke damage.

According to the sheriff, a deputy and jail workers used fire extinguishers until the arrival of Anniston firefighters, who were able to safely extinguish the blaze.

The dryer and the clothes inside it were destroyed in the fire and another dryer also was damaged, Amerson said.

Anniston fire Lt. Eric Arnold said that no inmates or jail workers were injured in the blaze, and there was no damage to any other parts of the building.

Amerson said the cause of the fire was a clog in the exterior piping connected to the dryer. The clog caused heat to build up in the dryer and set clothing on fire.

Repairs to the laundry room were still being assessed this afternoon, according to the press release.

Staff writer Madasyn Czebiniak: 256-235-3546. On Twitter @MCzebiniak_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow



Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Marketplace